10 things I realised as a Poly student

Hello people! It has been so long since I last updated this space. And yes, i know that the OMF blogpost just hanged there. But I'm so lazy to go and grab the itinerary and rack my poor rusty tired brain now to think about what happened.. the itinerary is so far... *cue Bertram's "its so far".* okay prolly no one will get this joke because i am the only childish kiddo who still watches disney channel... But then.. i didn't watch disney when i was younger. Not even the classical princess stories. (No childhood. LOL.). My impression of Cinderella and Snow White are in Hello Kitty Version. I only knew who is Ariel, Aurora and Jasmine because i had the gameboy cartridge for that but i never knew the stories. Mulan was prolly the only one that i watched in Disney edition but i never finished it. Never watched Lion King. Don't know who is Pocahontas. I only realise that all my friends have a Disney childhood because almost EVERYONE knew how to sing their theme song on my OMF trip. and im like... ._. I should have a Disney Princess Movie marathon.

Okay enough about my no childhood. Well, i wanted to write about this quite some time back but because it was CT and tons of assignments so i didn't had the chance to. I merely wrote a draft. I have like 6 drafts but none published. LOL. so here goes nothing: 

10 things I realised about as a Poly student

*Disclaimer: All based on my own opinion. If you disagree, the little x button is just right there *


1) Poly is not LEPAK

It is a common misconception about how a polytechnic education is far less stressful than a JC education. I was the victim of this myth too. It was partly why I entered to a Poly (though majority of it lies with my bad command of English). However, I have to say that, ever since my 1st semester, I conclude that that that statement is bullshit. POLY IS NOT JALAN JALAN GO GARDEN WALK ONE ROUND OKAY.

First, the workload is insane. Many of us basically have to stay up till 2-3am to finish assignments. Then turn up in school early in the morning for lectures again, which will continue to add on to the piling workload. Secondly, taking exams every semester for 6 times in the entire 3 year course, it is literally like taking Olevels for 6 times. No, I take back that sentence. Actually the way that my friends and I study are far more than what we actually studied for Olevels! I once stayed up all night to study for an exam and went home after the paper and KO-ed for more than 12 hours (which is a huge deal for me because i never ever could sleep past 8 hours). Also, the number of papers that one actually sit for differ from school to school, course to course. For mine, the most i had was just 3 papers. If i am lucky, i get a break in between the papers. If i am not, they are consecutive. If i am really so unlucky, the most-difficult-and-well-known-to-be-killer-paper and another heavy content module will be on consecutive days. But i have also had friends who had papers on Saturdays, or 2 papers on the same day or having more than 4 papers to sit for. Thirdly, deadlines. While some course do not have exams, they have tons of deadlines to rush for. As for me, the deadlines always come in after CT. That 2 weeks holiday we have after CT, IS NOT A HOLIDAY. its for the completion of assignments. Now that i am in Year 3, there is even more deadlines because there's FYP (fyi, a science student will have to do BOTH intern and FYP).  

Last but not least, the need to perform consistently throughout the entire of 3 years. Trying to survive poly is not easy, let alone trying to sustain a high GPA. It necessitate the input of immense amount of efforts and dedication in every single semester because if you screw up once, then goodbye GPA. *cue my love will go on* Also, besides trying to sustain a high GPA, it is also crucial that we have to actively participate in CCA as well, because it adds on to a holistic development. Sleep? What is sleep.
www.christophercomic.com
 I have to stress this, not just to show how stressful poly students are but to actually tell people that "hey, stop assuming that poly is a breeze". IT. IS. NOT. I will kick whoever that says this to Mars. I'm not saying that JC is a breeze though, but I do believe that the workload is comparable. In JC, one has to condense 1.5years of information and knowledge into one major do-or-die exam. In poly, one has to constantly perform well to try to score 4.0 consecutively for 6 semesters. Either which, LEPAK, is never the word to describe either situations. They are EQUALLY stressful, just in different ways.  

2) A Lower GPA doesn't mean a bad student. A Higher GPA doesn't mean a bright future.

GPA (Grade Point Average) is the grading used in a Polytechnic education. Basically, depending on the credit units of your modules (for a science course, there is different weightage to each modules. However, i do know that other course, that have more modules, share equal weightage for all.) and your grades for each module, an average score that can range from 0-4 is obtained. Every grade means a different score. AD, A+,A :4. B+:3.5, B:3.0, etc etc. It is very common for students to compare with one another using a GPA. However, I feel uncomfortable if someone tells me I'm "smart" because my GPA is decent. No, i'm not smart. Now, don't go around bashing me but this is what i believe my decent GPA stands for: Luck and skills to take an exam. 

A lower GPA does not always equate to a bad student or a stupid student. It really does not. I have friends who are way smarter than me, but due to a variety to reasons, they just simply do not perform well enough in exams. It is just like how we are judging everyone based on our grades, but some of us may be better than practical application. So we lose out on the grades and get labelled as "stupid". This is not right! No one is stupid if we judge them on what they do best. But all except few will be stupid, if we judge them based on only 1 criteria. 

Similarly, if a student has a high GPA, it doesn't necessarily mean that a bright future awaits. Being able to take an exam will only bring us thus far. If we go out into the workforce, may I ask if anyone will care which module did I get an A for, or would my superior be more concerned if i can perform my tasks properly and have great capabilities? Or in a more severe case, maybe a high GPA is a product of cheating and leeching off other's work. In that case, how do we equate it to a bright future or even at the very least, deserving? 

"GPA is only a number." I believe in this. But truth to be told, for everyone to think about it the same way, its definitely not easy because it is such a convenient way to judge a person's capability. Maybe some of you will feel that i can say all of this because i have a decent GPA and i do not know how "dim" a future seem like for a low GPA student. Yes, indeed. I do not know. Because i sincerely believe, that even with a low GPA, success will be yours if you work hard enough. You may have lost in the starting line, but your success comes with your capabilities, determination and efforts. My GPA gave me advantage, but it doesn't mean that I have a brighter future than anyone. 

3) Different school, Different course, Different standards. Quit comparing GPA guys.

I direct this to all parents and aunties and uncles of the world. Unfortunately, I have to direct this to some of my dear school mates as well. It is really annoying when people start comparing GPA, don't you think? Especially if you had worked so hard for the exams, only in exchange of people's snickers and the constant "you aren't doing as well as others". I know, it is always thought that GPA means GPA. It's a universal grading system. But honestly, do you all know how hard it is to actually get the same GPA between course, and sometimes between school? Not all top student will have a GPA of 4.0. Sometimes, the course is so difficult that maybe even a B grade is already one of the best. It really gets on my nerves when people just brush off my/anyone's results simply because someone else (same course still never mind.) did better,

Even within the same course, it sometimes depends on the questions that you get for your exams too! One semester may be slightly tougher than the other. But they studied the same thing. In that way you cannot compare. Or sometimes, there are circumstances that change. Like, if the teacher decides to pull out certain topics for the next semester and they end up with lesser content. Or if the teacher decides that another teaching style is better and the students end up absorbing way better than the other semester of students. All these needs to be factor-ed in. Unless you want to compare between students who study the same semester, take the same lessons, take the same paper. Then okay fine, there's nothing I can say. The only variable here is the student. For that, comparison is legit (but it is still annoying as hell).

Last but not least, please do not compare GPA across schools. For the very same reasons. Every single variable that change, factors into how well you perform in school.

No, i'm not just ranting. This is supposed to be a "realisation" kind of post right. So what I'm trying to say is, while the people of the public should stop labeling and comparing our intelligence based on GPA, students like us should quit comparing ourselves as well. Quit beating yourself up when you score badly or not as fantastic as another from a different course/school. In polytechnic, do always keep in mind that doing your best and doing it the right way (with integrity) is the golden rule. And that's the best advice I can give to anyone who is currently/going to struggle with their grades in time to come.

4)Stereotypes. Labels. Everywhere

Actually stereotypes are everywhere. Like how a girl is supposed to like pink (I don't) and how a guy with a pink belonging is considered gay. Like how Asians are labelled as the smart and nerdy ones, while blonds are dumb. Very often, these stereotypes are wrong. In polytechnic, it was the first time in my life that I experienced so much of stereotype. People give you a label for everything that you do. Even starting from the first time they laid eyes on you. If you are wearing a tee-shirt and jeans, you are likely to be a Science student. If you wear very glamorously and with make up all day, then you are probably a FMS student. Then comes with the nitty gritty things. Within a course, for example, my course. If you look like some ahbeng or ahlian, you are looked upon as someone who doesn't know how to study. (Okay I labelled my best friend as "the Ah Beng who can study" before I knew him. I admit). If you also dress relatively well in a course like mine, you are also labelled as someone who doesn't know how to study (In return, this Ah Beng best friend of mine thought of me this way before we knew each other).

Labels are also another thing that followed me around. Like if you score well for your tests and then you are automatically the smart one (not true guys, not true)/ mugger (true true) for the rest of your poly life. While I was one of those who got labelled as the "smarter" or the "mugger", it came along with a lot of stress. I'm constantly worrying about not performing well enough. Like, I cannot let anyone see that I can be stupid too, yknow.

But I guess, when one stepped into a polytechnic, its natural to feel very exposed and judged. I judge people all the time, so I can't blame others for judging me (especially since im like unglam and lupsup for 365 days) So sometimes, you just have to shake it off and do what you gotta do. Stereotypes are gonna be there, but it's up to you to break the bad ones. Labels are gonna be there too, and it is up to you to decide whether you want to take it too personally or just brush it off.

5) No uniform. Not exactly a yay.

Before I came into polytechnic, I was so envious of the people who attended schools here and could go to school every day like a fashion show. "Ditch the ugly looking uniforms, " I silently exclaimed when I received my posting. It turned out to be the worst mistake ever. Yes, you get to wear your own clothes to school. But that also mean that you are responsible for dressing presentably too. While some people just don't care, I find it a point to actually look decent. Since most of my classes were at 8am, I had 3 years of choosing my clothes while being half awake. (Plan your outfit the day before guys. It is NOT funny when you end up being a total fashion terrorist). Over time, I got so sick and tired of choosing my clothes that I just end up wearing the most comfortable clothing in my closet. It is interesting to be able to wear your own clothes, flaunt your own style and be pretty/handsome. However, it gets dreadful overtime. #truestory. I applaud and salute those who have constantly worn so consistently well for all 3 years.

6) Lecturers who speak like bullet train

Self explanatory. It gets worse if the teacher has an accent that is harder to make out what they are saying. As a non-audio learner, I already find difficulty in catching up with lecturers who are relatively slow paced. However, I find myself with lecturers that like to speak like bullet trains (that's what I feel) and I just goes like "huh" for like 50 times per lecture. It's something that we need to get accustomed to, so that we do not miss anything in class. For me, I resorted to recording my classes and going back home to write them out. Sometimes, I wonder if my teachers actually find my answers familiar because I wrote out what they said in class. For 3 semesters (my last 2 years, without intern), I recorded every single class and spent almost every night writing out my notes. I guess my hard work paid off. Of course, it was tedious. I find myself going to bed at 2-3am everyday because I take double the lecture time to go through them (ie 1 hour lecture = 2 hour of writing). Doubling the time was already the best. If I was already so tired, I can actually take 2 hours just going through 30 min of the recording and also find myself "sleep-writing". Once, I was listening to my recording and there was music in the background, I dozed off and ended up writing lyrics. Other times, I dozed off and woke up to incoherent wordings on my notes. As much as it was tedious and it was rather horrofying on how much effort I have put in ( I think I have about 100 recordings of lectures on my laptop) but it did help me get over the issue of not being able to catch up in class. So yay.

7) Be prepared to be overwhelmed by the different types of people you meet

This is the time when you realise that there are people that you want to keep for life, and there are some who are so toxic that you just rather that you have never known them ever. Say goodbye to your secondary school ways, where people are often two dimensional--good or bad. Also where you are probably friends with at least 90% of the whole cohort. Here, because of the large amount of time that you spend in school with people, and also how you are no longer confined to that small group/cohort of people you grew up together as a child, you tend to see a lot more diversity in the people you meet. You mean people from all (short) walks of life, and frankly speaking I was overwhelmed by that. I meet people who inspire me, people who care for me, people who stand by my side. Of course, there are people who just disgust me, annoy me and I try not to kill them with my death stares. And then there are the people who I feel that they are too "up there" for me to even communicate with (I tend to be really quiet or stutter stupid shit). Over time, you get to figure which group of people suits you the most and you stick with it, or you conform to the type of people that you want to become to join that group.

Diversity is good. But this diversity can bring you down if you cannot handle it. With different types of people, comes different types of thinking and judgments. So let's face it, you aren't gonna please everyone, and not everyone is gonna be pleased with you. Whether you encounter the ones who are just upright bitchy or bitching behind your back, its about time that you grow out and just shake it off. Sometimes, you may just be being yourself and other's are just not okay with that.

Besides the different people that you are gonna meet, you will come to realise how the same person can have so many different faces. I realised this because of project works and all. Take me for example, when I am focussing on my school work, like studying for exams, lectures or doing project work, I get EXTREMELY nasty. It all takes for one to realise the different patterns of each and every individual. So if you want a smooth project, either you 1) choose someone who are of similar pattern to you 2) choose people who compliment your flaws and try to tone down 3) pray that your groupmates are angels and tolerant bullshits if you are the nasty one (like moi.)

The different groups of people will also lead to the next point...

8) Don't expect everyone to be true to you as you are to them

This was what I felt. There ARE exceptions. Fortunately for me, I met a lot more true people than I expected that I would have (will be continued in my scheduled gratitude post). While others, sometimes you will find that some people are not who they seem that they are. Behind your back, they tend to enjoy a nice game of archery (okay bad joke). What I'm trying to say is, don't expect EVERYONE to treat you the true manner that you treat them. I'm not saying about those that rant behind another's back (I do that too. If not I will go crazy). It is definitely normal for another to vent about the nasty things that ACTUALLY happened. Sometimes, these criticism may reach my ear and I take it in a brighter light and try to change my ways a little. I'm talking about those that actually speak bad about you. Yes, in secondary school context, this is the legendary BACKSTABBING. While I have personally not encountered any of this (fortunately) from people who I actually DO care about, I have seen it happening. It is heartbreaking, yes. It is going to make you wonder "what in the world did I ever done to receive this".

I'm not saying that you are going to encounter this. But I'm just saying that it MAY happen to you. And my best advice to counter this: shut your ears and just live in denial. Well of course, keep those who falsify shit about you behind. The people who truly know who you are CAN differentiate whether those are fabricated or not. #truestory

p/s: the most pleasing words I have heard from these events happening is always: "How is that possible. She/He is not such a person". So blessed to have people standing by you when people talk shit about you.

9) Poly not equals no future

Before I came into Ngee Ann Poly, or polytechnic in general, I had a few people who "expressed their concern" in my decision. Fortunately, I did not succumb to all of these, and with a very loving family who were supportive of my decisions, I went ahead with a polytechnic education. Why? Because without a degree, you can't be "anything" and they always say that it is harder to get into a university via the poly route. Yes indeed. How many seats in university are actually reserved for the poly kids? How seemingly unattainable are the cut off GPA for the courses in university? Yes, it would appear that with JC, the route to a university is way smoother than the others. However, I decided to go for the other, because I knew that I can NEVER do well for JC. General Paper alone can kill me. 

Well back to the topic. Yes, it is harder to get into a university. However, do always remember that your diploma is sufficient to allow you to go out to work immediately.You are qualified and work-ready. The number of people getting into a university is increasing. The number of universities that are made available to the students are increasing. Cannot make it for local universities? Go for overseas. Cannot make it to both due to many reasons? Then go and work first. You have to work anyway. You can always take a couple years off, gain some work experience and go back to studying. 

Your future is determined by the effort that you invest. Not the route that you choose to go by. Even if I give you an easy way out and you decide to slack it off, no way are you gonna have a "bright" future right. Choosing a polytechnic education have granted me so much more exposure and I have grew so much. Furthermore, I find myself doing better in a polytechnic than I would have ever been in a JC. The sad truth remains that the pieces of certificates that we get after slogging our guts out determines our pay and how high we can get promoted. While we are trying to change the society's perception on whether a degree is necessary, you cannot void the fact right now that people are going to need that certification before hiring you because... there are just so many degree holders out there. If you worry about your bleak future, maybe the thing you can do is not to blame the route that you chose, but rather invest more of yourself in the route to accomplish what you wish to have. Don't be NATO.   

10) Poly is a test of your diligence, intelligence and luck

If you think you can survive poly alone with just intelligence, you are only half right. Like I mentioned, graduating with a good and decent GPA requires you to actually perform consistently well for 6 semesters. This required a lot of determination and diligence to put in same, if not more, effort into all of your modules for the whole 3 years. While others would argue that luck have nothing to do with scoring well in school, I personally add that as a key ingredient in my journey. People have always bashed me and said that I am "competent" enough to receive the grades that I get. However, may I ask if I'm so unlucky that the questions that I get are the ones that I do not understand, how do I pass it? Okay okay, if you want to argue with me saying that I study everything, and there isn't a thing that I would miss, then okay. Then how about being lucky in meeting friends who are willing to help you, lucky to meet lecturers who patiently take time to reply my lengthy emails? My mom has always told me that polytechnic education is really dependent on yourself. Yes, I do not deny that I put in effort in my education (we all should right). But if I weren't lucky enough to actually meet all of these people, I think I would have flunked right through. Luck? yes. maybe not many agrees in the "cos I lucky so what I studied came out for exams" theory but you cannot deny that I was lucky enough to meet all these people who are willing to help me instead of just leaving me to thrive on my own. 


There you have it. 10 (prolly senseless) points about my thoughts as a polytechnic student. The thing is, polytechnic life isn't that bad. I have never regretted a single thing about entering a poly. Yes, you will feel jealous when you see your A level friends getting their holiday and all. However, I always remind myself about how enriching my journey in poly had been. If anyone actually did asked me how to enjoy poly, I think the answer is to work hard, and play harder. Join CCAs, meet new people, go on overseas trips. Have fun, and enjoy your time. now that i am graduating, i feel the impact of a sudden realisation that I need to be an adult now. I'm not longer thinking about the modules I'm going to take that will affect my GPA. I'm thinking about the courses that I take that will eventually affect which career I am going to spend the rest of my life slogging my guts out trying to make ends meet, build a family and give my family a better life. Enjoy that very last bit of your teenage life, without the responsibility of having to worry for the nitty gritty things like money and bills. Make poly the best time of your life, because you can. I did, and it is honestly the best time throughout my entire life so far.

that's all folks.



0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Blogger news

Playlist